Brief History of Sangeetha
Since its inception in 1984, Sangeetha has sponsored over 200 concerts by very eminent and internationally acclaimed stalwarts and young, promising artistes of Indian classical music in both Carnatic and Hindustani classical music styles.
Sangeetha’s sustained efforts to promote Indian classical music has lead to a significant growth in its activities over the past years and is now eminently recognized by local community as a premier Indian cultural organization, patronized by a committed group of lovers of Indian classical music as well as by an appreciative, growing audience comprising of professionals, students, businessmen and women, from different ethnic backgrounds, all sharing a common love for Indian classical music.
Sangeetha has established an on-going, sustained relationship with several local institutions, encouraging them to participate in our activities. Sangeetha has fostered an excellent, on-going relationship with the music departments of Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis University and the University of Missouri, St. Louis. Sangeetha also partners with Bach Society of St Louis, Chamber Music of St Louis, Classical Guitar Society of St Louis and few more.
Our efforts to promote Indian classical music are now being recognized by several of the local art funding organizations such as the Regional Arts Commission, Missouri Arts Council, and The Arts & Education Council with their funding support and Sangeetha has emerged as a premier cultural organization under their sponsorship.
Sangeetha also works closely with The Hindu Temple of St Louis, Indian Community Organizations – Sangama, Ohmkaram, Missouri Tamil Sangham, St Louis Malayali Association, St Louis Marathi Mandal, Telugu Association of St Louis, Indian Association of St Louis and more.
Sangeetha’s activities have steadily grown over the years with the number of concerts increasing and the roster of artistes hosted by Sangeetha reads like a veritable Who’s Who of Indian Classical Music and includes some of the greatest living talents of Indian classical music.
- Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
- Padma Vibhushan Pandit Jasraj
- Padma Vibhushan Dr. M. Balamurali Krishna
- Padma Vibhushan Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma
- Padma Vibhushan Gana Gandharvan Dr. K. J Yesudas
- Padma Vibhushan Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia
- Padma Vibhushan Kishori Amonkar
- Padma Bhushan Dr. Sudha Raghunathan
- Padma Bhushan Pt. Rajan & Sajan Mishra
- Padma Bhushan Dr. Lalgudi Jayaraman
- Padma Bhushan Ustad Zakir Hussain
- Padma Bhushan Dr. L. Subramanium
- Padma Bhushan Pt. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
- Padma Bhushan Dr. Prabha Atre
- Padma Shri Kadri Gopalnath
- Padma Shri Pt. Ronu Muzumdar
- Padma Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam
- Sanjeev Abhyankar
- Padma Shri Aruna Sairam
- Academy Award Nominee Dr. Bombay Jayashree
- Aarti Ankalikar
- Padma Shri U Srinivas
- Vidhushi Ranjani Gayatri
- Vidhushi Dr. Pantula Rama
- Prince Rama Varma
and the list goes on…